27 July 2012

On the bumpy road to neighborliness...

Day 27: On the road
Our property is surrounded by an invasive species called Tree of Heaven. Three of these heavenly trees reside in the cramped space between our garage and our neighbors garage. In our eyes we love trees and would always strive to keep good ones around, however these needed to go so we could build our garage and have it live undamaged for many years to come.

We had a disagreement with our neighbor as soon as we purchased our home. He wanted the trees to stay. We prayed about it, graciously tried to discuss it with him, had the relationship take a pretty unexpected and ugly turn, prayed a ton more and amazingly enough he finally agreed to a compromise. It's been a hurtful and emotional process for hubby and I, but also an opportunity to see how prayer and letting the dust settle can sometimes make all the difference... 4 months of prayer later we are looking at two trees and a stump, and plenty of room to build our garage even though we know the remaining trees will compromise it's structure in the future.

on the road

The sound of chain saws, wood chippers and huge thuds as the limbs were thrown to the ground filled our morning.

garage time

It is all I can do to keep myself from going out and cleaning their garage gutters every time I look out my kitchen window... I don't feel like they would appreciate the gesture.

yard

Hubby called me Wednesday night to tell me the tree guys were coming at 8:30 the next morning. I was set to have a little backyard party at 7:30 that night. Clearly we had to relocate that little shindig since my yard looked like this by noon!

So thankful it is done, praying for continued healing in our neighborly interactions, and excited to see hubby start framing those walls tomorrow!!

"To learn strong faith is to endure great trials. I have learned my faith by standing firm amid sever testings." ~George Mueller

0 comments :